Can I enroll in Covered CA?
Open enrollment in Covered California for 2014 coverage has now ended. However, if you are eligible for Medi-Cal you can enroll year-round. Also, some people may become eligible for “special enrollment” in Covered CA outside of the regular open enrollment period if they have a “qualifying event”.
Under the Affordable Care Act, some of the qualifying events that may enable you to enroll in Covered CA outside of the open enrollment period include:
- Getting married
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Permanently moving to a new area that has different health insurance options
- Losing your health coverage that is minimum essential coverage
- Losing your health coverage through your parents because you turn 26
- Income changes that affect your eligibility for financial assistance to purchase insurance
For more information about qualifying events and how to get coverage after open enrollment has closed, please visit https://www.coveredca.com/coverage-basics/special-enrollment
The next open enrollment period in Covered CA for 2015 coverage will start in fall of 2014.